Nothing can ruin the look of a freshly washed car than a set of dirty rims and tires! Your wheels get punished by a barrage of brake dust and road grime which is often difficult to remove.
If you allow brake dust to sit on your wheels for a prolonged period of time, it can eat into the protective coating and start to deteriorate the metal. Brake dust is made of carbon fibers that come off the brake pad and tiny metal shavings from the rotor. The heat and friction generated by the wheels makes this mixture extremely corrosive. Since you more than likely drive your vehicle every day, more brake dust is constantly being made. Frequent cleaning is the only way to keep your wheels safe.
Here are some simple steps to help keep your rims and tires in tip top shape!
1) When you wash your vehicle, clean the wheels and tires first. This will prevent overspray or grime from splashing onto already-clean panels. If you like to clean your wheels and tires with soap and water, use a separate wash and rinse bucket and soft bristle brush.
2) Choose a cleaner that is appropriate for the type of wheels you have. Aluminum and chrome can withstand stronger cleaners than coated or painted wheels. Once you have applied the cleaner, take a medium to heavy duty bristle brush and brush the rims and tires thoroughly. Make sure you have a smaller narrower bush so you can get in the back of the rims without having to remove the tires from the vehicle.
3) Always clean your tires and wheels one set at a time to prevent the cleaners from drying. Wash and then rinse with water before moving to the next tire.
4) Don’t forget to dry your wheels! Use a Microfiber towel, but not one that you use on any other part of your vehicle. Once a towel is used on the rims and tires, it should always be used for rims and tires. Drying will prevent water spots and help you remove every last bit of brake dust.
5) Apply a coat of wax to your rims for extra protection from brake dust and other road grime and contaminants.
6) This step is not necessary but will definitely help in adding to the appearance of your vehicle and that is applying a coat of tire dressing to your tires. The dressing will help give your tires that black deep wet looking finish and will also help aid in cleaning of the tires during future washes!